W.M. Jennings and Fred Mayes started the Zella M. Mine and along with others built a reduction mill near the town of Sheridan. The ore was sent down to the mill in a chute built of poles. This chute could still be seen in places about fifteen years ago and some of the old mill foundations can still be seen today.
This milling didnít turn out to be very profitable and the mill closed after just a few years and the people moved away. At its peak a few over 200 people lived at Sheridan.
A mill was built in 1914, but the recovery was not successful, so most of the ore was continued to be shipped, although a few hundred tons were processed at the Bodie Mill in 1917. The fall of 1917 saw the closing of the Phil Sheridan Mine.
Guy Helphrey, who had a general store at Sheridan, is the only businessman known to be in Sheridan at this time, although there was a hotel, the remains of which can still be seen today. Also the remains of the Helphrey Store are still there. The mill buildings of the Phil Sheridan Mine are still there. The Sheridan Mine produced $75,000 of silver in its time.