Itís the oldest mining townsite in the state of Washington. Originally established as "Williams Creek" in 1880. It was renamed "Meaghersville" in 1887. In 1912 the post office was moved from Old Liberty on Swauk Creek to Meaghersville, and became Liberty, in accordance with post office regulations.
In more then a century its miners have mined more than three and a quarter tons of placer gold. Placer gold in large quantities was discovered on Swauk Creek in 1868, but the placer miners soon found that its eastern tributary, Williams Creek, was even richer in placer gold.
The Liberty Historic District has been placed on the National Register do to its exceptional American History of the past.
Today the present townsite of Liberty, which has carried three different names still stands beside famous Williams Creek as it has for more than 131 years, as a tribute to the mining days past.