Alma was originally located on the present day site of Okanogan. It was renamed Pogue on September 16, 1905. The town was platted August 20, 1904. Alma had a post office that was established May 26, 1888.
Frank J. Cummings, a local merchant and ferryman, also known as "Pard" because he addressed everyone as "Pard." In 1891, during an Indian scare, a local defensive organization passed a resolution urging Cummings not to sell ammunition to the Indians.